Translate

Friday, January 3, 2014

It Begins

"I'm late....."

I look over at my wife on the sofa across our living room with my eyebrows raised.

I reply, "Really?"

"Yes...."

This was over Thanksgiving weekend.   Of course we had discussed having a child.  That is one of the prime areas that you HAVE to discuss before as Beyonce says you 'put a ring on it'.  From whimsical discussions to more serious, we had had them in the weeks/months preceding this day.  In these discussions I told her that I was NOT going to be an 'Old Dad', being 43, my 'conceive-by date' was fast approaching.  I had told her that I was ready whenever she was and to just let me know and we would start trying.  Of course, discussing having a child and actually being pregnant are two different things.  Now this was getting real.

But things were not supposed to play out like this I thought.  We had been married for less than a year.  We were going to sit down and plan this out.  I had visions of ovulation schedules and temperature ranges.  There were some things that we HAD to take care of before we would commit to conceiving.  My wife hadn't worked steadily in almost a year.  We were making it but it would be nice to have a bit of a cushion in the bank.  Several other thoughts popped into my consciousness.  But as we make our plans, life laughs and decides to throw a sack of monkeys into those plans and cause chaos.

"So.....what's next?" I tentatively ask.

"Well, I was going to wait until Sunday and then get a test." she tentatively replies.

"Sounds like a plan" I respond.  Followed by "Do you FEEL pregnant?"

"I don't know"

"OK, well, let's just wait till Sunday and we will get the test"

The next couple days by and we enjoyed the long weekend.  That said, there was that 500lb gorilla in the room that was coming up on Sunday.

Sunday morning comes as I am drinking my coffee we have this conversation:
"Honey, I do have this test that I bought a while ago that I was going to try"
*Note: this test is from before we were married and together.

"Um, why don't you head to the store and get new ones.  Because no matter how that test comes out, you are going to want to do another one just to make sure.  Do you want me to go with you?"  I respond, trying to be supportive.

"That sounds good. You don't have to go, I will be back in a few minutes."

Well, after the first test, there was a second and even a third the next day.  The results came up really quickly....we were pregnant!

Little did I know what I was in for....:)

Up Next:  Natural Birth?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment